Vitamin D (or calciferol) is a very important vitamin that contributes to normal immune system function and the maintenance of normal teeth and bones. During the summer months, we are able to replenish it with adequate sun exposure. In winter, the human body can suffer from a deficiency.
Where vitamin D is found
Vitamin D is mainly found in fish oil, fish meat (sardines, salmon, tuna, herring), liver, egg yolk, milk and dairy products.
A deficiency of vitamin D can manifest itself in children as rickets and increased tooth decay.
Vitamin D dosage
The daily recommended intake for an adult is 5 µg.
Benefits of vitamin D
- Contributes to the normal absorption and utilization of calcium and phosphorus
- Contributes to normal blood calcium levels
- Maintains normal bone and teeth
- Maintains normal muscle function
- Contributes to normal immune system function in children and adults
- Participates in the process of cell division
- Required for normal bone growth and development in children
What to know about vitamin D
Combination with vitamin A, C, calcium and phosphorus is recommended to improve the effect of vitamin D.